OUR COMMITMENT TO PRODUCT SAFETY AND COMPLIANCE
Jornik Mfg. Corp. Strives to provide you, our loyal customer, with fun products that will protect your company and your clients’ brands from potential harm and brand damage. All of our products are designed, engineered, manufactured, tested and inspected to exceed all applicable mandatory and voluntary product safety standards and regulations.
We are committed to using the best Product Responsibility Practices in the industry so that you have the greatest confidence when buying your promotional products from Jornik.
We Believe in Product Safety
Jornik truly desires to provide you and your customers with the safest products in the promotional products industry, but more than that, we also want to make it easy for our clients to verify that our products are safe and compliant.
- A Very Robust Product Safety and Compliance Program: Despite our size as a family-run business, we still devote a large amount of our time and financial resources to create and maintain a very stringent product safety program that we consider to be one of the finest in our industry. It is our primary goal, in addition to making FUN products for you, to improve our internal processes so we can make better and safer products for you. Several important areas of our product development, procurement and validation processes have been improved to meet the requirements of our compliance program. Our compliance program is managed by our President, Jordie Freedman, and is conducted under the close guidance of Leeton Lee, a product safety expert who has nearly 25 years of setting-up and managing corporate product integrity programs for major consumer products and toy companies. Leeton reviews all product development, sourcing and testing of our company’s products before you even receive the product from us.
- Compliance starts at the Product Concept Stage: At Jornik, each item is carefully reviewed during the product concept and design phase to eliminate potential safety hazards before the product is tooled and production begins. By carefully considering the preliminary designs, consumers’ use patterns (aka "human factors”), materials specifications, tooling, manufacturing methods and packaging, we can effectively reduce the number of potential safety hazards and defects in the finished product. By reducing the potential for product defects and performance failures in the hands of the end-user, we know that our clients’ and end-buyers’ brands are provided greater protection against potentially embarrassing and damaging claims and product safety recalls.
- Buying from the Best Vendors: Jornik sources its products from only the most qualified and verified vendors in North American and Asia. Our owners, and compliance and operations personnel carefully vet each vendor and its factories to ensure that they exceed our standards for product quality and safety, social responsibility and environmental stewardship. Our factory vetting includes face-to-face interviews, meetings, detailed vendor compliance questionnaires, and thorough periodic factory audits and inspections. Our vendors’ factories must be audited to meet our Social Accountability requirements as listed in our company Code of Conduct.
- Validating Safety Through Rigorous Testing: Jornik strongly believes that the safety and compliance of our promotional products must be verified through third-party testing to reduce the risks of unsafe products reaching consumers. As examples, all our toys, children’s products and art materials undergo a very high level of safety and compliance review and testing, including toxicological assessments, before we will sell them to you. Our testing program one of the most stringent in the promotional products industry; every item is tested by a third-party CPSIA-accredited laboratory to exceed mandatory and voluntary requirements for each product. Jornik has implemented testing protocols that have been carefully determined by its own staff and the technical experts at its world-recognized and certified thirdparty labs. Every item in our catalog is thoroughly tested at least once per year to meet and exceed all U.S. and Canadian federal and state/provincial laws and regulations. The materials and components, including our decorating inks, all comply with CPSIA, FDA, Cal Prop 65 and other regulations.
- Product Quality Assurance through Third-party Inspections: Jornik’s products are thoroughly inspected to ensure that they exceed our exceptional quality, performance, and aesthetic standards prior to leaving our factories. At great expense, our appointed third-party inspection company is assigned to our factories to conduct a comprehensive pre-shipment inspection of our products before they are released for shipment. We have created an extensive set of inspection specifications for the factories to use during production, and for inspectors to use to verify the products before the goods are released for shipment. Products are once again inspected by our in-house staff upon arrival at our U.S. warehouses to confirm the inspection results received from the third-party inspector. Only after the shipment is proven to meet our quality inspection standards are they then released for production, decorating and distribution.
Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act ("CPSIA”) Compliance
Jornik’s products are validated through third-party testing to exceed all applicable requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 ("CPSIA”). Upon our clients’ request, we are happy to verify the compliance of our products in writing through the following documents:
- Certified Test Reports from CPSIA-accredited laboratories: We will provide copies of test reports on all the products and for all the inks we use on our products. All the test reports show compliance with applicable sections of CPSIA, FDA, Cal Prop 65, and various state laws and regulations.
- General Certificates of Conformity and Children’s Product Certificated: In addition to test reports, Jornik will be happy to provide our clients with General Certificates of Conformity ("GCC’s”) to further certify compliance with the applicable regulations and standards used in our testing. Most of our products are
considered by the CPSC to be "General Use” products under the CPSIA, and most of them are therefore not certifiable as Children’s Products (intended primarily for children 12 years and under). However, Jornik has many items that are intended as toys or children’s products and we will gladly (1) provide a Children’s Product Certificate ("CPC”) to verify that they meet applicable Children’s Products standards and (2) affix a permanent Children’s Product Tracking Label to those items. Please contact us for specific GCC, CPC and other testing and certification requests.
California Proposition 65 Compliance 2018 Update
The Jornik Team is very familiar with the requirements of California Proposition 65 including the latest warning requirements that will begin enforcement on August 30, 2018. To protect you, consumers, and the environment, we regularly monitor all published Cal Prop 65 violations, consent decrees and judgments with our test labs and the OEHHA notifications to keep our Prop 65 knowledge base current to ensure compliance.
To ensure full customer satisfaction and to avoid the use of warning labels that can send unfavorable marketing messages to consumers, we engineer and formulate our products so that they will meet Cal Prop 65 requirements without the need for Prop 65 warning labels that can alarm end users and consumers.
Our products and inks comply with Cal Prop 65 and are verified through third-party testing. Therefore, our products are tested for substances and chemicals that have the highest potential to be present in the materials and components used in them to verify that they meet applicable Cal Prop 65 Chemical Safe Harbor levels so they won’t need any such warning labels on them.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about our product safety and compliance program. We are pleased to be a supplier-partner for your company and are very grateful for your business and support.
Jordie Freedman, President
JORNIK MFG. CORP.